Friday, March 9, 2012

I am a freelance graphic designer and recently my client has left his previous contract design and would like me to take over his design briefs.

I received a brief today to simply change wording within his poster and menu designs, so naturally I asked for the working files, including the indd, ai, eps, psd etc.

The former design, however, refuses to release the files and replied that they could "lose work" if they do that. In turn, they requested a payment of $200 to provide the working files.

If I don't get the working files I will have to charge my client heaps to start over, which means I may lose the brief.

Can they do that? I would assume when my friend purchased the service from him he is entitled to receive the working files - just like handover from different contract builders the new builder is entitled to receive the previous blueprints.

They have not committed to a legally signed contract, nor does any receipts and invoices, contain clauses that prevents my client from getting the working files.

I would greatly appreciate any legal points and ideas you can advise me on this matter.

Thanks very much :)|||I think it is fair due to copyright issues, and the paranoia of ideas being stolen.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment